Contact Us:

For further information about AHR net, or if you wish to subscribe, contact:

Design Research Publications
Poundsford • Vicarage Lane • Burwash • East Sussex • TN19 7JS • United Kingdom

T: +44 1435 883950

London, England: The Guild & School of Handicraft, 1890

[The period covered by Arts:Search 1890. Available now]

The Guild and School of Handicraft was established as a workshop and training school for silversmiths in Whitechapel, London in 1888 by the architect, artist and designer Charles Robert (C.R.) Ashbee (1863-1942). The Guild relocated to Chipping Campden in the English Cotswolds in 1902 and closed in 1907. During its short history, the Guild had a profound influence on the Arts and Crafts movement not, only in Britain, but in the USA, Continental Europe, and elsewhere

The Transactions, of which this was the only volume published, contains ‘A Short History of the Guild & School of Handicraft’ by C.R. Ashbee; and articles by William Holman Hunt, Lawrence Alma Tadema, Henry Holiday, W.B. Richmond, Thomas Stirling Lee, Edward Prioleau Warren, G.F. Watts, Walter Crane, and Giovanni Udine.